Monday, February 27, 2012

A Unique Container Garden

Container gardening is so versatile.  Not only do I use them to start my Spring Garden but to maintain my foliage all year long as well.  Peppers and tomatos can survive in a container garden indoors during the winter with the proper lighting.  Just make sure you have a large enough container that has enough of a depth to allow for growth.  I use a laundry basket that is forty gallons and 24 inches tall.  I found it at a thrift store for just a few dollars.  Don't limit yourself to any possibility.

My old toddler swimming pool was perfect for growing simple

flowers like mums.  I wish I had remembered to take a picture.  The pretty yellow and amber sprouting out from the blue was colorful.  The most enjoyable aspect of a  toddler pool is the vibrancy.  The shades and designs available are adept for container gardening.  I have a friend who put one in the center of her sun room and keeps flowers growing in it all year long.  It added just the right ambiance to her gardening achievement.  Use a toddler pool for gardening plants that don't require a lot of attention, nor desire deep rooting to survive.

My herbs are grown in an old 10 gallon aquarium.  Planted in early spring as soon as the weather starts to warm I place them where they receive direct sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon.  Monitor watering cautiously when using an aquarium.  No drainage leaves a possiblility of over watering.    I use simple herbs that don't require a great deal of room to grow. Cilantro is a good example.  These plants will grown to about 12 to 16 inches tall.  Than the green foliage is removed the leaves are dehydrated.  Chives are another good choice for aquarium gardening.  Plant mint and see how fragrant your patio can be.

I just recently purchased two 50 gallon storage containers for gardening.  I found them on sale for less than $5 each.  These are used for hardy plants that will be transplanted to the garden later.  One container holds chilli's and the other has peppers, tomatoes and squash.  In a few weeks my sprouts will be mature enough to transfer to my cultivated beds.  The containers won't be retired after they have comlpeted their task.  I have plenty of gardening ideas to keep them full.

No comments:

Post a Comment